Tuesday, February 11, 2014

So what does a stay at home MOM do anyways!



As some of you may know, I am a stay at home MOM of 7, if you don't, well I am and some days I feel really down about myself as I am not out in the "working" world! I have worked full time since I was 15 years old and let's just say that has been many, many, many years of working outside the home. (not to give this MOM's age away)  I quit work 4 1/2 years ago when our youngest was born and we decided it would make sense financially for me to stay at home then get day care for 7 kids. I loved being able to be a full time MOM to my youngest son as with the others I always went back to work. But there are days that I feel like I am not pulling my weight around here and that we are financially set back by me not working and I my self esteem takes a nose dive but then I realize that I have worked hard in my life to be able to be right where I am now. I have wonderful, beautiful, smart children that I can be waiting on them when they get home from school and not be completely exhausted from working 12 hour night shifts like I used to do. I am the one that they rely on at all times. My husband is active duty military and he works so hard for our family and our country but even when he is home on weekends the kids still run to me....even though I would like to have weekends off like he does I don't get that luxury but what I do get is priceless beyond measure. The hugs, the kisses, the excitement of the stories from school, the performances, dance recitals, ball games, the quality time of reading bedtime stories to them and tucking them in each night etc. Those are all the priceless things in life that money can not buy.

I have to tell myself when I am on my death bed that the only things that will matter at that time is God, my family and my friends. Not what I did in this life as a career. Sure I have a college degree and sometimes when someone asks me their "medical" questions..I always say "I'm not a nurse anymore!" That irritates my parents to no end because I am a nurse and much more. I am the maid, personal shopper, cook, housekeeper, chauffeur, secretary, accountant, referee, supporter, counselor, teacher, librarian. tutor, sports fan, nurse. I wear ALL these hats in my job as a stay at home MOM! 

Yes, today MOM got up and got 6 kids on the bus and 30 minutes later got #7 on the bus to preschool all ready for his Valentine's day party today. Then MOM got to go to the salon to get her hair styled with no kids running around the salon...today was MOM's day. Sure, I get my hair done every 6 weeks and my nails every 4 weeks. I wanted to quit doing this to save money for our family but every time I tell my husband I am going to quit those luxuries he tells me no and says "that is the only thing you do for yourself"  (insert your AWWWW's here ladies) yes, my husband is great and you know what he is RIGHT! MOM does need MOM time and I am going to quit feeling less of a person because I am not driving to a job to a health facility or a corporation because what I do........is a billion times harder then any of those jobs can be as you are 24/7 on call..no vacations, no weekends, no sick time because you are super MOM! So ladies, take some MOM time and go get those mani/pedi's, massages (if that is your thing..I am seriously considering one) hair done and sit back relax and let someone else wait on MOM! Cheers to the stay at home MOM's or DAD'S because we are what helps mold our children in to the responsible adults they will one day become and they won't know all the hard work you did at your outside job but they will know all you did as their MOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment